Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Boise St. gets dumped on, again.

Well, I'll be the first to admit it, Boise St. has the toughest schedule of anyone in bottom 10% of college football. However, I don't have a vote in any of the polls that make up the BCS. A lot of people who do though, had them ranked #3 going into this week. All they did was put up 50+ on Nevada, and shut them out. They called off the dogs late, or they could have scored 70 or more.

The Oregon Ducks have a great team and played rival Stanford. The first half they looked lost and trailed going in at the half. The second half was a different story, Oregon came out and took control and won 52-31, but the game was closer than the score actually looks. Oregon, by the way came into the game ranked #4 in the nation.

What happens next is insane. Oregon jumps Boise in polls to take over the number 3 spot in the polls. I should mention, that includes the coaches poll as well. I should say, I don't think Boise could win 5 games in the SEC, but put them in the Pac-10, ACC, or Big East and they could dominate. What are these people thinking though? If Boise was good enough to be ranked ahead of Oregon, what did they do or not do to make voters say they were wrong the week before?

In college football today, there are too many arbitrary. Let's cut to the chase, and get a real champion in this sport. Does anyone care where their college basketball team is ranked until March? What about the NFL power rankings, does that dictate who plays in the Super Bowl? What about the stat hungry sport of baseball? They have the fewest number of teams allowed to compete for a title in the post season, but they do get it decided.

I love to watch college football every Saturday with my son, and I'm sure I will continue to year after year. I just hope by the time he gets to be my age the powers that be who control all the money in college football will have figured out a way to keep schools like Boise St. safe from the "so called" experts. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment